Unfortunately due to restrictions by our ads provider,the only funding this website currently has, new policies had to be put into place to avoid losing that funding.
Without ads this site can’t stay alive, and to be quite honest it doesn’t even make enough to pay the $120/mo server bills. So to ensure the survival of IRC-Source new content policies had to be put into place and can be found here.
To be fully transparent here, we don’t really want to do this but we have to. So here is how we have/are going to handle this issue:
- Our new content policies only align with Google’s content policies for Adsense. We have not added anything extra.
- Channels that violate the content policies will be hidden from our website, but we will keep networks out of it.
- If a network is absolutely dedicated to something that violates our content policies, such as networks dedicated to content of adult nature (sex, porn, etc.) then the network may become suspended as a last resort measure.
- We will do everything we possibly can to keep an entire network from being hidden from the site but in some cases it may be unavoidable.
- We will continue to work with Google to take down pages that violate their content policies.
- We will continue to try to raise funding for IRC-Source through Patreon, where Patrons receive benefits such as an ad-free experience and special user rank on the forums/profile.
- Once $150/mo is earned through Patreon we will disable ads for every visitor site-wide. IRC-Source is non-profit, we are just interested in paying the server bills.
- A new report button will be put into place to help let us know where there might be content in violation of the new policies.
Once again, we hate to do this but we do not have a choice. It’s either this or we lose funding for the website. Alternatively we could find an ad provider that doesn’t require us to censor our content, but unfortunately those advertisers tend to have low quality advertisements that are not suitable for IRC-Source.
♥ IRC-Source Staff